Ladybugs a very beneficial group of insects and they can really help you control pests in your garden. They have round, often spotted bodies, and are commonly yellow, orange, or scarlet with small black spots on their wing covers, with black legs, head and antennae.
Interesting ladybug facts:
1. They can live for as many as three years;
2. Their spots fade as they get older;
3. A ladybug beats its wings 85 times per second when it flies;
4. The spotted wing covers on ladybugs are made from a material called chitin, the same as our fingernails;
5. Male ladybugs are smaller than female ladybugs;
6. In the past, doctors would mash ladybugs and put them in your mouth to cure a toothache.